A trade name is a name under which you conduct your business in the UAE. A trade name is also referred to as a doing business name’ or a company name or a fictitious name.
According to the cassation courts of Dubai: “A trade name is a name that has been chosen by a trader or a company in order to distinguish his shop or company from other ones” (judgment no. 268-2008 commercial cassation)
A trade name is important because it is the medium that connects the company to the public. It is used in advertisements and for sales purposes, to enable the public to recognize the entity.
There are few points which you must consider before going for trade name registration in the UAE.
1. Reserving trade name – preliminary step during company registration in Dubai
Before you apply for acquiring trade license for your business, you need to reserve your trade name through trade name registration.
2. Trade name registration is mandatory
Trade name registration means to register your company in Department of Economic Development (DED) of relevant emirate. It is mandatory to register your company’s trade name with approvals by DED.
3. Important Rules to Consider before Choosing Trade name
- Your company’s trade name should not be already registered by other commercial entity. It has to be unique as duplicate trade name will be rejected by the authority.
- Trade name should not be misleading to the consumer by being similar to other trade names in the same field of trade.
- It should include, in the case of an individual trader, the trader’s first name and family name.
- It must not be the same name as is currently used for the same activity or business activities.
- It is better to include a distinguishing feature, such as the nature of your business, if your trade name is similar to another previously registered trade name.
- be compatible with the nature of the business you are planning to practice
- It should not mislead the consumer as to the type of trade and its importance or size
- If your trade name breaches public order or moral, DED will not approve it.
- Trade name must not contain the name of Allah (God) or sectarian names
- It should not include the names of the ruling authority or slogans related to a local, regional or international organization
Process of Trade name Registration in UAE
In order to register trade name in Dubai, you need to,
- Fill in an application form for registering the trade name
- Submit the form and required documents to the Department of Economic Development in Dubai
- Pay the required fees at the counter
- a photocopy of your Emirates ID card and passport
- your family book if you are a UAE national
- a photocopy of a valid residence visa if you are not a citizen of the UAE or a GCC nation
Trade name registration in Dubai does not take more than 24 hours and company name can be reserved within a day. After your trade name is entered into the commercial register, you will receive your trade name certificate.
Validity of trade name in UAE is one year and you have to renew it after one year has passed.
Trade name Registration fee
Trade name registration fee depends upon the emirate you decide to register in and the trade name you choose. However, the nominal charges according to Dubai DED are,
- Trade name registration fee in Dubai: AED 620
- In case of a foreign name registration fee will be: AED 2000
After you have registered trade name, you must display it on the front of your business premises and use it when carrying out your commercial transactions.
If you are planning to register your company’s trade name in Dubai or across UAE, contact us at Trade Mark Registration Dubai.